Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Tisket, A Tasket, A Green & Yellow Basket

Okay, so I'm getting a bit bored. :-D Welcome to life on bedrest! Since my blood pressure (BP) has been fairly good today, Jonathan has allowed me some computer time while he takes a nap during naptime, so yeah - blog updates for you (as well as updating the bank statements, facebook, and e-mails).

I can't whine too much about being on bedrest; I've done this once before for three weeks while I had mono 2 1/2 years ago, so I can handle it, and yes, I've been behaving (for the most part). I did have Jonathan bring the kiddos clothes to me this morning while they were at church and I folded them while in bed (the girls were running out of clean underwear and socks), and oh yeah! My bed also turned into the hair salon this morning; do you know how long it takes to get all these girls' hair ready for church? It will be worse in a couple of months, when we will (tentatively) have six girls and two boys, not including our little girl and myself! Of course, that could change, but from what we've been told, that is about what we will have come another month or so.

It hasn't been the greatest weekend, though; my BP has been crazy. It doesn't help that my OB is out of town this weekend, so I've had to talk with the OB on call (he's from a different OB/GYN office). Needless to say, I like my doctor more; he is just very calm, thorough, and reassuring, and I needed that this weekend when my BP spiked up to 158/99 and we could not get it to go down. It finally did after several hours; this other OB continued to recommend bedrest and call my OB Monday (tomorrow) morning.

We're learning a few things about my blood pressure as we track it throughout the day, though. It is typically higher in the morning/early afternoon, and though it is never 120/70, it will typically stay around 135/85 if I lay quiet on my side (especially my left, but I can't live on my left side - my hip kills me after awhile). However, if I sneeze, go the bathroom, eat a meal, or anything, it will immediately shoot up over 140/90, which is very not good (the goal of the bedresting is to keep it below 140/90), and it can take 2-3 hours for it to go down again, though sometimes sooner. So even though I have my weekly checkup on Tuesday morning, I will call and talk to the nurse tomorrow morning to let her know how our weekend is going to see if she wants to change my appointment to Monday or not. It makes me a bit nervous that it is such a struggle to keep it below 140/90; hypertension during pregnancy restricts the blood flow to the uterus and placenta, so the baby doesn't get as much oxygen and nutrients and thus, the placenta will eventually start to disintegrate. Not the greatest environment for our little one!

Another odd pregnant thing happened this morning, too, that I will talk to our doctor about as well; I was in the shower this morning and noticed that all the skin below my belly-button is suddenly flabby. Truth be told, it makes me wonder if she has flipped herself sideways, because the top of my stomach is now very pronounced and hard. I think Jonathan is more worried about it than I am...

Anyway, I think that is about it for today! Oh, and check out Jonathan's blog at http://www.southerncoffee.blogspot.com/. He's doing a "dad edition" of my site, as he journals what it is like to run the house without me.

No comments: