Monday, June 16, 2008

My First Night in a Hospital

I've never had to spend the night in a hospital before; even when I had my tonsils out at the age of five, I didn't have to spend the night. But let me back up - some of you don't even know I'm in the hospital!

We went into the OB this morning for my 38 week exam and a NST (non-stress test; they hook me up to the fetal monitor for 30-45 minutes and see how baby and I are doing). I had some protein show up on my dipstick, my BP was okay at 130/80, and great news! I have started dilating some on my own. However, during my NST, the baby's heartbeat kept dropping. Needless to say, we were sent home to get our bags and check into the hospital, so we did! The timing worked out well; we started our maternity leave this morning, though we weren't expecting to go the hospital today.

Anyway, baby and I are doing well; we had an ultrasound and she seems perfectly healthy and my fluid levels are fine. Better yet is that I am having small contractions that have been fairly regular; nothing like what we will have when we start active labor, but enough to help continue the beginning dilation process. We are also doing another set of 24 hour labwork, which will be done and back early tomorrow afternoon. From what we are hearing from the doctor and nurses, though, is that I probably will NOT be sent home; I will probably be induced, but my OB wants to see the lab results before he makes the decision. The only issue today, which is crazy of all days, is that my blood pressure keeps dropping, which is nuts! It's never been as low as it has been this evening. So I'm off of the meds unless I jump back up into hypertension range.

So that's the latest update of the moment - we'll keep you posted! :-)

No comments: