Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Healthy Lasagna

Okay, I tried a new recipe the other night, a twist on my traditional Italian lasagna. Usually, I go all out - 5 different cheese, all whole milk, homemade sauce, lots of noodles, etc.

Really can't do that with us on our diets.

So I tried a twist on it; instead of my homemade sauce with all the stuff added in, including some red wine, I used a Classico sauce (low sugar in it), part-skim ricotta cheese with a bit of light sour cream added, and turkey sausage (or ground meatless sausage). However, the biggest twist was the noodle substitute: cabbage.

Yep, you read it right. Cabbage. Not gobs and gobs of it, but separate leaves laid across the pan like you would regular lasagna noodles. As it cooks, the cabbage just soaks up the juices of the dish, and you would never know - the texture is actually pretty similar.

Just food for thought for you! :-)

No comments: