Thursday, May 29, 2008

Summer is Almost Here!

I think I'm actually a crazy mom who is looking forward to the summer! We already have one out of school, three more finish today, and our oldest finishes next Wednesday. I've enjoyed having four kids home this week, and I'm working on a tentative "schedule for the summer" which has worked great this week. For example:

  • Wake-up/clean rooms/breakfast: 8:00 am
  • Play outside until 11:00'ish (until it gets too hot)
  • Craft/reading time until lunch (will be 12:30'ish) - this splits up the kids; 4 kids read while 4 kids do their craft/school activity; we switch halfway through.
  • Nap/Quiet time: 1'ish - 3:30
  • 3:30 - 6:00: Playtime and/or outing time (usually swimming - we are at the YMCA or Swim Center several times a week; we also have a couple awesome parks that we enjoy going to)
  • 6:30 - supper time! My volunteers arrive around six to eat with us, and then help with whatever I need help with - bathing toddlers, dishes, laundry, sweeping/mopping, etc. It has been a wonderful help for me, and I'll be leaning on them even more after the baby comes, I'm sure!

The one thing Jonathan and I are still debating is bedtime for the kiddos; the toddlers will still be around 8:00 pm (we have learned that once you miss that first bedtime window, they are nearly impossible to get back into bedtime routine!), but the school-aged kids can stay up later than eight in the summer. About two weeks before school starts, we start backing up the bedtime to the school year time, so the start of school is an easy transition. Anyway, we aren't sure what ages will we have at that time; we have three leaving in the next couple of weeks, and two more in the middle of the summer, so we may just have to play it by ear.

In other news, we are doing really well. Once my medical stuff started clearing up last week, I have felt so, so, so much better! I'm starting to feel very preggers, though; getting the bigger/heavy feeling. The kids are obsessed with my stomach right now; I'm constantly getting touched, patted, listening to, etc, all day long. One of the three year olds has this horrible habit of yanking up my shirt to look at it, no matter who is around (especially if they are asking about the baby!). Six hours of uninterrupted sleep is rare and wonderful, like last night. Of course, I had crashed about nine o'clock, Jonathan came to bed around ten, and I woke up about 3:30 for the bathroom run and nope, could not fall back asleep. Of course, I woke the kitties up when I got up and Egypt loves to snuggle in my hair, but she kept trying to lick my face, which drives me crazy! In some ways I cannot wait until they are big enough to stay outside 24/7; my sleep will approve (our hope is that they will be totally outside before the baby is born). So I'm up - revamped the June budget (just have to show it to Jonathan to get approval), and now I'm blogging! But this means I'll actually get a shower this morning! :-)

Well, I should sign off; we have a big day today! My PreK's finish school today, and get out early, and our six year-old is leaving with his adoptive family today after a big campus-wide party tonight to celebrate/say goodbye to him and his older sister with their new family and friends they've made here. He's excited, but a bit apprehensive, too. Anyway, he and I have to finish packing this morning, and then make cupcakes for tonight. But pray for our other kiddos, especially the other boys. D'ante's been struggling with it, and Logan has been horribly jealous and thus lashes out verbally in cruel ways towards him and some of the other kids. This is one other hard part with these kids; they become siblings, and it is hard when the family dynamic is changed. We've worked really hard with X leaving to work through the adoption with the other kids; for some of the younger ones, adoption is this scary black hole kids fall into and we never hear from them again. We weren't here when Z, the baby, was adopted over Christmas, and when we came back the kids kept going on and on about how somebody just came and took him! I felt bad that no one had worked through that with them, so with these upcoming summer adoptions, we've really tried to prepare them.

Okay, this is getting long - y'all have a wonderful day! :-)

PS It's May 29th! One more month to our due date!

No comments: