Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pregnant Women Don't Sleep

I am learning this...

...as it is 4:30 AM and I'm blogging 'cause I'm stinking tired of tossing and turning in bed. *sigh* I'm definitely started to feel more pregnant - the past week or so I've started to feel stretched and swollen in my tummy, though my heartburn has been less. I'm also struggling with finding a comfortable spot - the most comfortable for me is always on my back, but I'm not supposed to sleep on my back (though I always wake up that way!). I'm always exhausted all the time, but I'm thinking I have to cut out my after lunch nap so I can sleep better at night. That and put my walk back into the schedule regularly. But no stretch marks yet, and I'm hoping they won't come! I've been regularly using baby oil twice a day (once after morning shower, and once after the much needed evening bath) as well as cocca butter. But we'll see as I get bigger!

I am proud that my eating habits have gotten better. I really struggled after Valentines Day with all the sugar the kids brought home, but after my last OB visit to see that I'd gained 10 pounds in five weeks, I started cutting out the sugar and simple carbs again. The kids get a light breakfast here (yogurt, granola bar, etc) 'cause they all get breakfast again at school, so I'm very proud that this past week I've really worked on making Jonathan and I a good healthy breakfast (including cut-up fresh fruit with a bit of yogurt mixed in - he actually likes it!). A) it keeps him from running to Chick-fil-a for breakfast, which costs money, isn't healthy, and horrible for his stomach issues, and B) without breakfast, we are usually very run down for the rest of the day. So I've enjoyed sitting down with him to eat every morning after he comes back from running carpool. The little girls get jealous (they love their "daddy", who used to be their cuddler on the couch when he got back from carpool), but they can get over it! :-) Now I just send them into our room to wake him up when they get up at seven. But anyway, here is a great breakfast sandwich recipe (it's for two):

2 bagels (or 4 slices of toast, or whatever sandwich bread you like)
3-4 eggs, scrambled with S&P
4 slices ham (I just use the lunch meat out of the fridge)
2 slices of cheese, or a small handful of shredded cheddar cheese
butter (if wanted)

While scrambling eggs, toast and butter (if wanted) bagels. Layer half of eggs, ham, and cheese on each bagel, wrap in foil, and put in the over at 350 for ten minutes. Tastes like a fast food sandwich but way better for you! I use whole wheat for mine, and they turn our great! I have served this with a fresh fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and a cut-up plum) that have about a tablespoon of vanilla yogurt mixed in with it. Very healthy and filling!

That's about it for now... more to come later! :-)

3 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I'm pretty sure the lack of sleep while pregnant is just practice for the "joy" that is a newborn.

Kathy said...

Debbie, "hey" from Nashville. Glad to hear you're trying new healthier meal options. And, yeah, the lack of sleep now just prepares you for the 2-hour naps you'll get all night when the baby is here. But you can do this! God doesn't make mistakes. I love you!

NicholeLNelson said...

I make those sandwiches almost every time I make breakfast but I don't make breakfast every day. :( I love that fruit salad idea!

When did you start the baby oil? I've JUST read about baby oil and stretch marks.

Do you take the bath just to sooth soreness?

Ha ha. Yeah, I'm finding that out about sleeping, too. I often wake up and check blogs or FB for a little while. I don't even nap! I also end up sleeping on my back even though I try not to. Someone told me perhaps I shouldn't worry about it so much, as long as my blood pressure is okay normally.