Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rain, Rain, Rain....

I've always hated this part of South Carolina winters - the unbearable days of cold wet drizzle that leaves everyone chilled to the bone and depressed because of the sunless days. We are on day three.

On day one, Thursday, it had snowed about 1/2" and the whole city shut down. It then started to rain. Rain washed away the pretty snow and all seven of the kiddos were shut inside. But we managed - we watch Chronicles of Narnia, did some crafts, I baked, and the kids enjoyed playing in their rooms and did pretty well keeping it dull roar. Now, however, we are all going crazy. They had Friday already off of school (this district has more teacher in-service days than any I know - this is why we get out in June, I suppose), and Monday is a holiday. But this rain is making us all crazy. We're all snippy and tempers are short. Today, when the rain slowed to a drizzle, I let the boys out to go ride their bikes for 20 minutes or so - they bundled up and loved it. So I'm probably a bad mommy for that, but these kids are used to playing outside for a least two to three hours a day and need some sort of excursion.

So pray for us - two more days to go. At least with summer, we go to the swim center and they play outside, but this rain needs to stop soon. So tonight is an early dinner of pizza (take-out, of course - I have no energy to cook right now), chores, baths, movie and bed. Hopefully we'll make it! But the forecast is not good for us right now - an inch of snow tonight, then down in the 20's which will freeze everything solid. I have a feeling we won't go to church tomorrow...

*sigh*

We'll make it!

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

That is precisely why I have to live in the North. If it's going to be chilly, it might as well be cold and snowing. At least snow is pretty and can be fun to throw at people.

My fingers are crossed that you don't get iced in. :-)