Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another day, another dollar...

This post is actually not about the kiddos or Baby Rogers (I know - shocker, right?). This post is dedicated to money. Yep, money.

Back in December, when we were planning our goals for the next, Jonathan & I spent a lot of time looking at our finanical situation, or the pending trainwreck. :-S We signed up on Dave Ramsey's website, http://www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com/, for their free trial week. Well, we signed on with them and have enjoy (yes, enjoyed) making ourselves more disciplined with our money.


Then yesterday, our carpet-cleaning work at my MIL's house last weekend arrived. Jonathan had really been wanting Dave Ramsey's DVD teachings on financial peace, and I wanted the books and computer software. So in exchange for going the extra mile at her house and doing the carpets, she bought the set for us on top of paying us for our work, which was very lovely. So yesterday was a financial day while the kids were at school. We watched the start of the DVD's, the software went on the computer and we went through every single stinking bill and debt we have and put it on paper. I even called the creditors (never fun), spoke with them, and we now have an on-paper plan to attack our debt. We're looking at wiping it out over the next 3 1/2 years, a little longer than our goal was when we first got married (we wanted it gone by our 5th wedding anniversary).


In some ways, it was fun retweaking our budget. Jonathan was shocked that we in fact could save some every month for things like car replacement and matience, even set some aside every month for our next journey to Colorado to visit my family. He even has his own "BLOW" money; it's not a ton, but enough. And the software help us discover what we can (and how much we can) pay to every debt each month using their pro rata worksheets, which was a huge load off of my shoulders; I'd been very overwhelmed with trying to figure that out on my own.


So our current goals are thus: finish putting $1000 in the bank for our emergency fund (and finding the right bank/money market account to put what we already have into it), so when the unexpected does happen (and it will), we don't have to go farther into debt. Also, starting in March, we are going to the cash/envelope system with our budget - everything but our bills. We've had a budget in the past, but swiping that debit card is so easy, so we've struggled with overspending. Hopefully, the envelope system will help. The only thing is, we need a new safe to do that; our other is just a tiny one for the crucial documents, so Jonathan is looking on e-bay and overstock.com to see what they have. But we're excited and so ready to get this debt monster off our backs.


Okay - money post is done! :-)

5 comments:

Denise said...

DH and I use the envelope system and though we're very new to it, the difference is amazing. We know where the money is going, we know how much we have left to spend on each category, and best of all, there's no stress about it! I highly recommend the envelope system to those who see my little wallet of envelopes and ask about it. I've had cashiers, nurses, and bank tellers ask and I'm happy to share a little of Dave with them. DH and I registered for FPU at a local church and finished our third session earlier this week. What an eye opener completing the monthly cash flow sheet was! My best to you and your family and I hope you learn to live like no one else so later you can live like no one else!

Burgh Baby said...

I love my e*trade online savings account. It pays WAY more than a brick and mortar bank would.

Denise said...

How much is etrade paying now? Last I checked it wasn't that good. Maybe it's better now!

Kathy said...

Good for you guys! You'll be glad when you're earning interest instead of paying it. There's more freedom in that then you'd think. And go check out the family site. You'll get a giggle.

Becky L said...

I hate budgeting. No fun.
I really need to start. I was supposed to start, but just let it fall aside.
But in my defense, I haven't been making any frivilous purchases.