Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Day Didn't Go As Planned...

...when it includes a trip to the hospital for contractions.

Yep, you read right. I'm now the proud "owner" of a pre-term labor scare. Very not fun to wake up in the middle of the night hurting and wondering "is this a contraction or not", 'cause I've never had them before! But after about 8 in two hours, I called the OB and he told me to go on in. Needless to say, Jonathan is praying that Baby Rogers will be born in the day or at least after seven o'clock in the morning. Dragging him out of bed was not nearly as easy as getting one of the other houseparents on the campus to come crash on the couch.

The good parts of today? Well, it was a great trial run of what "B-Day" will be like; everything went perfectly smooth as we checked into the hospital and we even got to ride the special reserved "Mom Express" elevator up the 4th floor (which is the OB floor and yes, the elevator even has a sign on it with that). People, if you are pregnant, register early at your hospital! It makes emergency trips like this go so much easier and quickly!

But anyway, we were lead straight into our room, where I changed and was fitted with the fetal monitor. About five minutes into listening to our daughters heartbeat, yep, there came another contraction! I was so glad I had one there and that quick - I was scared they were going to think of me as the crazy-first-time-mother-who-thinks-every-ache-and-pain-is-labor. I had two more within 30 minutes, but by that time, they were pretty sure they knew what was causing my pre-term labor: an untreated and undiagnosed UTI. I didn't know that could cause pre-term labor, but yep, about 30-40% of women in their last trimester that have untreated UTI's go into labor early. It even says that in "What To Expect When You're Expecting", which of course I had to look up UTI's when we got home.

So now I'm home, doped up on meds, and though I still have the occasional contraction (they've gotten much, much less as the day has passed), I'm having a love/hate relationship with the medication I'm on. Love it because it keeps baby where she belongs for ten more weeks, but I hate it because it makes me groggy and kind of shaky. But she's been loving the attention; I think she's thrown a party in my uterus because she's been dancing a TON today, especially when she was hooked up to the fetal monitor. But they all say she seems to be perfectly strong and healthy, which makes us glad. The only other real downer I had to deal with today is that I had to postpone a Premier show tonight, but the hostess is a friend and she was very understanding.

Well, I love you all, but this has just about ate up the last part of my energy. I'm think I'm off to shower and go back to bed (and even maybe finish paying the rest of the bills). I'll keep you posted!

No comments: